Starting my career in Shanghai

shanghai
Date: September 1, 2007 Categories: General Comments: 7 Comments Share:

Why did I choose Shanghai to start my career? Well, I have read and heard some positive things about the development of industrial design in China and while I was in China during my trip last April/May, I did a couple of interviews in Shanghai. One of them was at Asentio Design, where I work now.

I believe that a work experience in China can become a valuable experience, because design in China is getting more and more important as the number of design conscious consumers, who are able to afford good design, is rising. That is why Western companies are settling down here. And ofcourse it is good to be here as the manufacturing of products is happening here.
So I hope I am able to learn a lot about designing in China for both the local and western markets. And to learn how to efficiently communicate with Chinese people.

Read more about industrial design in China here:

An important question is ‘can I get used to the work culture and life here in Shanghai?’. I need to discover that…
Anyways, one work week has passed and I think the first thing I need do do is to get used to the hot and humid weather here(now I am missing the weather in Holland) and the food (weak stomach)

I hope to post some photos next time. Check back later!

7 Responses to "Starting my career in Shanghai"

1. Yee May Kwok

January 4, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Hoi Wai Kit!
    Weet je nog wie ik ben? Ik heb ook IO gestudeerd en een vriendin van Kitwang.

Ik weet nog dat jij een hele gave website had, dus ben ik eigenlijk per ongeluk op deze site terecht gekomen. Je zit in Shanghai lees ik! Wat leuk! Hoe bevalt het?

Ik ben in 2006 afgestudeerd en inmiddels ook een jaar aan het werk. Maar…ik wil wat anders… werken in Hong Kong! Dus voor mij ook spannende avontuur. Ben benieuwd hoe jij het hebt aangepakt en wat je bevindingen zijn van werken in China. Als het uitkomt dan zou ik graag een bezoekje willen brengen naar Shanghai. Maar eerst in april in Hong Kong terecht zien te komen.

Veel succes! Ik hoor graag van je (mailen kan), omdat ik niet meer per ongeluk op deze site zou komen.

Groetjes,
    Yee May

2. zhuanju

November 20, 2007 at 4:47 pm

that sure !shanghai’s weather is not well , I hope you quickly adpot in here , have a good time in china^_^

3. andyhuico

October 13, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Hi Joey,I am achinese student,and I love industrial design ,just as you said,design becomes more and more important in China.So I think that you choose shanghai is right.I am going to work there.
    Now I am studying in China,xi’an . welcome to China and welcome to xi’an.
    I’ll be your tour guide ?
    haha!

4. waikit

September 23, 2007 at 11:34 am

Hi Micheal, I guess the first thing I am really learning here is communicating with Chinese and international designers here. I hope to stay for at least one year and maybe more if the opportunities are positive for me.

5. Michael Serafin

September 8, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Hey there, I just got back from doing some product/toy design work in Shanghai for the past two months. I was just wondering how your adjusting thus far in your endeavours. How long will you stay??

6. Waikit Chung

September 8, 2007 at 9:52 am

Hi Joey, I’ll meet some foreign designers here coming Wednesday. I’ll post about if it is interesting.

7. Joey Roth

September 8, 2007 at 4:02 am

I can’t wait to hear more about life as a designer in Shanghai. I sometimes think about relocating there- being able to take a taxi and visit my suppliers would be wonderful!

Submit a comment